Education and Training Assignment
1. Title of Research
IMPROVING STUDENT ENGAGEMENT THROUGH INTENTIONAL TEACHING METHODS.
2. Introduction
Background and context
In education context, action research is explicated as a reflective and cyclic process that focuses on improving practices along with addressing complexities faced by students and teachers. The primary purpose of action research aligns with enabling educators to systemise their teaching methods (Lombardi et al, 2021). For instance- in my field the action research implies for enhancing teaching methods related to teaching IT and digital subjects. By incorporating action research, areas of improvement can be identified and accordingly effective teaching practices are undertaken that increases learner engagement. Through incorporation of action research, I will be able to enhance my understanding comprised with consistent classroom dynamics and subsequently, data informed approach can be stimulated which allows me to undertake significant strategies based on the needs of student. There are different steps incorporated in action research process and those aligns with identifying issues, intervention planning, gathering data, evaluating results and implementation of change.
The action research starts with identification of the challenge; I have underpinned an issue related to lack of student engagement. IT and digital concepts require practical set ups for enhancing the knowledge of students and lacking in this area results in decreasing the engagement of students (Jesionkowska, Wild and Deval, 2020). Based on the issue the intervention needs to be designed; it is important to consider the needs of learners while designing intervention. The data collection method is significantly for analysing whether the implemented intervention is working or not and accordingly, information requires to be analysed so that findings could implemented. On the basis of analysis, further changes are implemented in the intervention procedure. Each step is connected with each other as it provides the basis for further steps and develops a consistent cycle (Kalu, Wolsey and Enghiad, 2023). Kurt Lewin’s action research model expounded as a problem-solving approach that entails with implementing collaboration among researcher and practitioner with the aim of identifying, evaluating and addressing real-life world issues.
It involves a cyclic process that associates with planning, action, observation and reflection. This model provides potential benefits related to structured approach; the four steps are providing detailed insights for researcher for completing the research procedure (Archambault et al, 2022). On the other hand, the limitation of model is associated with excess time and lack if flexibility. Each step is connected with each other and therefore, it is not possible to skip any of the phase due to which it consumes more time. This model will impact own approach for solving classroom issue and further supports in undertaking instructional practices (Archambault et al, 2022). I will use the structured approach and accordingly each of the step will be performed for most importantly reflection will enable me to analyse areas of improvement on consistent note.
Rationale
Learning IT and digital concepts requires consistent collaboration and this is not possible without student engagement. Therefore, I will focus on student engagement context within my area of practice. Further, effective student engagement led to organise project-based activities that will enhance student learning and knowledge along with solving their issues related to learning complex topics (Datta et al, 2020). From the observation, I witnessed that learners find complexities when it comes to imply database knowledge and this is due to lack of student engagement in classroom. The data clearly indicating that limited interaction in groups project and discussion creating complexities for student.
In order to address the identified issue, I will implement a significant intervention strategy that entails with incorporating intentional teaching method. This will involve organising group projects, incorporating new technologies and providing practical projects to students. Further, I will focus on providing relevant resources to student such as software tools and online forums. Furthermore, a session will be scheduled for peer session. The timeline for presented intervention will involve a semester [Six months], implementation will be done at starting of semester [In three weeks]. This will be followed through periodic assessment, practical sessions and group project. The surveys and feedback will be undertaken for analysing the engagement of student. Hence, this interventional strategy supports me in assessing progress and subsequently, necessary adjustment will be made.
Aim and objectives
The aim of the action research is to enhance student engagement within classroom via implementation of intentional teaching methods.
Objectives
- To understand the importance of action research and its significance in education context.
- To improve student engagement in classroom through intentional teaching methods.
- To organise group-based projects along with integration of new technologies.
Research question
- Why action research is important in educational context?
- Why improving student engagement is essential and how this can be done?
- How group-based projects can be organised while integrating new technologies in classroom?
3. Literature Review
In the views of Dakhi et al, (2020) student engagement encompasses with wider domains and this mainly focuses on increasing motivation and performance of learners. From the literature it has been analysed that in teaching IT and digital subjects, higher engagement is essential. There are varied different context that needs to be understand by student. For example- using social media, coding, implying technological tools and so on components. Therefore, consistent engagement is essential (Sebanz and Knoblich, 2021). However, Legaki et al, (2020) revealed that ICT pedagogy aligns with undertaking practical session that gains the attention of students and increases their engagement level. This significantly means that only theoretical learning cannot lead to student engagement; there is need to undertake practical session. It is important to develop a collaborative approach in the classroom by organising group projects so that students can effectively learn and understand the concepts. Biesta, (2021) elucidated that Pedagogical content knowledge is an essential element in teaching IT subjects to student, a teacher needs to go beyond their knowledge for enhancing the knowledge of learners. There is need to develop interactive session at the classroom so that student can get engaged.
There are certain subjects such as IT which requires consistent involvement of students, the topics and concepts are linked with each other and therefore, it is important to understand each of the concept one by one. However, Biesta (2021)revealed that when student does not get engaged in the classroom then they are not aware of the initial and base topics which creates complexities for them in understanding wider concepts. Therefore, it is important to increase student engagement in the classroom from initial level so they can learn and understand the topics. On the other hand, Børte et al, (2023) stated that for enhancing student engagement in the classroom it is important to analyse the needs and requirements of learners and accordingly, group projects should be organised. Based on the literature this can be said that it is important to increase the engagement level of student in classroom as it helps in enhancing their learning procedure to greater utmost.
4. Methodology
Research Design and Approach
Observational studies
Observational studies support in identification of real-life scenarios and further contributes in gaining in-depth understanding regarding practical situations. It provides higher flexibility in the research procedure and changes can be adjusted. This is considered as a qualitative method that promotes in-depth evaluation (Munna and Kalam, 2021). On the other hand, drawbacks of observational studies align with biasness. There is higher possibility that observational studies lack in removing biasness due to higher flexibility.
Surveys
It is a type of quantitative research method which is used gathering quantitative insights. This method proves to be effectual as it covers varied number of respondents and accordingly, information is gathered (Ifenthaler et al, 2020). However, it lacks in providing in-depth analysis due to quantitative nature.
By analysing the pros and cons of the methods, I would say that qualitative insights prove to be preferrable as detailed analysis of student satisfaction can be done. This will further help in increasing the engagement rate of students.
Justification of Research Method
I have selected qualitative method for conducting action research, this is considered by looking upon the nature of issue I am investigating. The intervention strategy aligned with increasing student engagement and for that varied group projects and resources will be introduced and accordingly, observation will be undertaken and further feedback from the students will be received (Owens et al, 2020). This is the nature of research and for this process qualitative approach is suitable such as focused group survey that involves student from first semester. The choice associates with multifaceted reasons as it determines about effective instructional strategies (Sanusi and Oyelere, 2020). Moreover, these methods can be used for collecting comprehensive information that would develop reliable and valid results. This will support in the implication of findings in research practices.
Ethical Considerations
Ethics plays pivotal role and therefore, throughout the whole procedure, significant attention will be implied on key ethics such as informed consent, maintaining anonymity and reducing biasness (Qureshi et al, 2023). I will inform participants regarding he whole process and their opinions would be respected. Furthermore, no biasness towards any of the student will be performed all of them given equal opportunity and an inclusive environment at the setting would be developed. In political context I will focus on navigating school policies and community expectation and accordingly, I will adhere with the guidelines. Moreover, confidentiality will be prioritised and data will be secured, no disclosure of the personal information will be done and primarily focus would be implied on performing ethics. In this manner, researcher would be able to enhance the efficacy of research.
Description of Sample / Participants
The data collection procedure undertaken in accurately planned manner I have observed the students throughout the semester and at the end of semester I have organised focused group discussion including eight students. I have asked certain question from students and they have provided responses on-to this. Further I focused on receiving feedback from the students.
Data Collection Methods
Qualitative method such as interview, observational studies and focus survey provides opportunity to researcher in terms of implementing interaction with participants and undertaking detailed evaluation. On the other hand, quantitative methods such as test scores and Likert scale enables in measuring data and consequently, trends and changes in engagement level could be evaluated (Daly-Smith et al, 2020). However, there might be possibility that qualitative insights might be subjected to biasness and quantitative method concerned with lack of flexibility. Based on the nature of action research I will prefer qualitative method and for gathering data as this provides in-depth information which will be used for implementing new intervention strategy in upcoming semesters. However, I will ensure that this method does not adhere with biasness and accordingly data will be collected. For increasing the engagement of students, I will observe them and further receives feedback from them and for this qualitative approach proves to be suitable.
Data Analysis Method
Thematic analysis is concerned with evaluation of qualitative data, this method is appropriate for analysing the information which is presented in the form of theories. I will employ thematic analysis technique in current research and accordingly, themes related to student engagement will be developed (Daly-Smith et al, 2020). The majora rationale behind selection of thematic analysis aligns with allocation of theoretical data and in-depth evaluation of the intervention. Thus, this approach enables me to develop data-driven conclusion along with contextualising findings in broader manner. Hence, by revealing insights, future implication of the intervention can be made. Hence, I can say that thematic analysis is appropriate in current research context.
5. Implementation Of Intervention
Intervention strategy
The implication of intervention strategy will be aligned with varied stages that would be follow by initial plan. In the first week of intervention, I will make student aware regarding collaborative projects and technology-supportive learning tools. Further, I am going to communicate clear objectives and expectations with students. Throughout this procedure, my core motive is to observe student and document each of the action.
Timeline and planning
Timeline
Activities | Weeks | Weeks | Weeks | Weeks |
Implementation of intervention | 4 | |||
Organising tasks such as- organising group projects, incorporating new technologies and providing practical projects to students. | 5 | |||
Surveys and feedback | 3 weeks | |||
Implementing changes | 2 weeks |
The implication of the intervention strategy will be aligned with varied stages that will follow the initial plan. In the first week of intervention, I will make students aware of collaborative projects and technology-supportive learning tools. Further, I am going to communicate clear objectives and expectations with students. Throughout this procedure, my core motive is to observe students and document each of the action. The change which will be undertaken in the process after receiving student feedback will be documented. Moreover, I will undertake observation on a regular basis; it helps in capturing immediate influence on student engagement. Observation supports in taking appropriate decisions along with considering important modifications.
Adjustment made during implementation
The change which will be undertaken in the process after receiving student feedback would be documented. Moreover, I will undertake observation on a regular basis; it helps in capturing immediate influence on engagement of students. Observation supports in taking appropriate decision along with considering important modifications.
6. Presentation Of Analysis And Findings
Summary of data
The core aim of the action research was to enhance student engagement within classroom via implementation of intentional teaching methods. The focus was implied on organising group-based projects along with integration of new technologies. Through action research varied insights has been developed that enhanced my perception regarding teaching practices. In order to teach IT related subjects it is highly important to focus on creating practical session in the classroom so that consistent support can be ensured to students. Theoretical knowledge does not enable students in terms of gaining wider understanding. However, practical session provide platform to students so they can imply their learning in real life scenarios. Similarly, I have provided opportunities to learners so they can use tools and technological resources for understanding AR and VR concepts. This led to develop significant understanding in students regarding important concepts within subject area.
The findings have been clearly depicting that, organising group-based project and practical sessions results in increasing student engagement in the classroom and further learners have shown active engagement within setting. Thus, it can be said that it is important to undertake group-based activities so that learners can effectively show their knowledge and skills. I have provided real life practical scenarios to students that develops in business context. For instance-I have provided opportunities to learners for designing a brand and social media strategy. Accordingly, learners have performed their tasks while being in group. This clearly shows that, students learned different concepts and further they have become able in terms of undertaking practical implementation of the learning.
Thematic analysis and interpretation
Question 1 | Does group-based project led to enhance your learning experience? |
Question 2 | Do you want more collaborative projects? |
Question 3 | Do you feel that the interactive and practical session increased your engagement level? |
Question 4 | Any suggestions for further implementation? |
During group discussion there was different insights gained from students I will present themes in graphical format and accordingly combined analysis of answers will be done.
Theme 1- Group projects and project-based learning enhanced student experience
Interpretation-From the gathered data, it has been analysed that students in the classroom were in the favour of collaborative projects. The collective response of learners stated that they got the opportunity to show their skills and knowledge. However, those students who stated that the experience was ineffective were not involved from the initial and therefore, they did not understand the concept.
Theme 2- Student want more collaborative project
Interpretation- Learners got the opportunity to imply database and IT knowledge in real life world scenario and this lead to increase their interest in the classroom. Hence, students want to have more projects like this so they can significantly understand and learn the concepts.
Theme 3- Student engagement level has been increased to utmost level
Interpretation- I have observed that the engagement level of student increased to greater extent and this shows that they have liked the interactive and practical session. Furthermore, step by step concept was explained to themand accordingly, they performed their role in group projects.
Theme 4- Student want to make collaboration with their seniors
While undertaking focused-group discussion I have received feedback from student, they want to collaborate with their seniors. This clearly shows that they are highly interested to take part in group projects related to real life business scenario where they can apply IT knowledge.
The collective response from students clearly depicting that, learners want more group-based project. The planned intervention led to increase the engagement of student in classroom, I have focused on guiding students regarding varied domains related to IT and digital components. The consistent discussion with students was undertaken and their doubts were solved after each lecture. The combination of traditional and modern approaches supported in increasing student engagement level in the classroom. I got to know that it is important to consider student requirements and accordingly, appropriate actions in the classroom should be taken so that effectual outcomes can be gained.
Read Our Last Blog: https://nativeassignmenthelp.blogspot.com/2026/09/balancing-free-expression-and-public.html
7. Conclusion
Summary
Conclusively; this can be said that it is important to increase student engagement in the classroom and this can be done through considering the needs and requirement of learners. From the current research significant insights has been developed and it has been analysed that intentional teaching method can result in enhancing the engagement of students. There is need to emphasise on the motive behind any teaching strategy so that effectual outcomes can be gained. In current context, the motive was to increase student engagement in classroom by organising group-based projects and practical session. Furthermore, opportunities were given to students so they can reflect upon their learning along with providing feedback. This results in gaining effectual results and consequently, student engagement in classroom was enhanced and further their understanding related to subject area was enhanced.
The gathered information has been clearly signifying about the contextual aspects which are important to be involved in classroom. Thus, it is essential to create significant focus on developing group-based project as it led to enhance the attention of students and further enable them to show their creativity. Consideration of these findings proves to be essential as it result in creating higher satisfaction for students in the classroom and I will be further able to implement intentional teaching methodologies. Thus, in this manner, I can effectively gain significant outcomes. There are varied number of students in classroom and all of them different needs and requirements with respect to learning efficacy. It is important to analyse the requirements of each individual and accordingly, decision should be implemented. In similar manner, I will emphasise on understanding the requirement of learners and on the basis of this further actions would be taken. The interactive and practical session resulted in enhancing the engagement level of student in the classroom and therefore, I will further organise such kind of session within setting so that student can get chance in terms of showing their knowledge and further this enable them to gain new insights.
Limitations
The limitations are comprised with collection of data as it was not possible to encourage students in sharing their opinion. However, by conducting one by one session the students were motivated. Accordingly, they have presented their opinions.
8. RECOMMEDATIONS
On the basis of findings, I will focus on formulating significant and specific recommendations which supports in increasing student engagement in the classroom.
Collaborative projects
I will organise collaborative projects in classroom which provides opportunities to student so they can become able in terms of showing their knowledge and skills. This supports in creating effectual environment for students and further enable them to learn important insights which are crucial for gaining understanding related to IT related subject (Cornish et al, 2023). Thus, collaborative project should be organised in classroom which lead to enhance student understanding and further increases their engagement.
Integration of technology
The updated technology should be integrated in the instruction as this enable student to use latest technology while using their knowledge. Consistent integration of technology led to develop significant support for student and they will further become able in terms of showing their knowledge along with implying it in practical scenario (Mac Naughton, 2020). Therefore, I will focus on integrating technology in the classroom and this create significant support for learners so they can effectively become able to learn about important domains related to subject area and most importantly, this technology will enable them to use IT and digital concepts in effective manner.
Feedback mechanism
Feedback is an important element which support in taking important changes within teaching method. Students should be given opportunity in terms of providing feedback so they can explain whether they are satisfied with the teaching method or not. In this manner, effectual outcomes can be gained and further satisfaction of the learners within classroom could be enhanced (Fine and Torre, 2021). Therefore, I will employ feedback mechanism in the classroom so I would become able in terms of knowing about the important aspects which are needed to be changed.
9. Evaluation Of Own Practice
Strengths and areas of improvement
I have identified certain strengths and weaknesses in relation to action research and I can say that this led to develop significant insights for me in terms of learning new things. I have effectively analysed the complex situation within classroom such as lack of student engagement which is creating barrier for student in terms of learning new things. The foremost step is to identify a problem and I have done this in significant manner. Afterwards, I have developed the plan in effective manner by considering the needs and requirements of students and therefore, I can say that it is important to look upon this area so that significant support can be ensured. However, I have faced difficulties in implementation of the plan and this was mainly due to lack of problem solving and decision-making skills. I have faced varied problems due to which I got confused. In this context, I have taken guidance from peers and this led to enable me for taking significant decisions. However, I need to develop these skills in me so that I can become able to focus on these areas. Thus, I can say that this action research provided me varied opportunities which led to develop significant insights for me and further supported in taking effectual actions.
Impact on professional practice
I can say that I have effectively undertaken the procedure of action research and this opportunity enabled me in terms of understanding important elements which are essential. I have become able to understand the concept of action research along with the important steps which are important to be undertaken. I have analysed the major area which is creating issues in enhancing student learning and that was lack of student engagement. I have analysed the foremost issues in this area and accordingly implied intervention. Furthermore, I have considered the requirements of students and accordingly, further actions have been taken. In this manner, I was able to take effectual actions related to implementation of collaborative learning and using technology. Thus, there is no doubt in stating that current action research supported me in terms of understanding important elements and accordingly, I have taken significant actions that comprised with assuring support to students. In this manner, I was able to analyse the ways in which student engagement can be enhanced. I have effectively performed each action by considering the theoretical and practical knowledge. Henceforth, I can say that action research proves to be effectual in terms of taking significant decisions.
Future CPD or research plans
In order to improve own skills, I will be focusing on taking certain actions so that I can become able to improve problem solving and decision-making skills. For improving problem solving skills I will emphasise on analysing the root cause of issue so that I can become able to know about the important elements which are causing major issues. Hence, in this manner I will be able to solve the issues. Furthermore, I will focus on analysing different decisions by using critical analysis skill and accordingly, I would focus on taking that decision which will associated with providing effectual outcomes. In this manner, I will become able to take effective decision and further, this led to develop effective outcomes as well. Hence, contextual information is depicting that I have effectively used my strengths for undertaking action research. However, there are certain areas which needs to be focused out so that I can improve in those areas.
10. References
Books and Journals
Archambault, L., Leary, H. and Rice, K., 2022. Pillars of online pedagogy: A framework for teaching in online learning environments. Educational Psychologist, 57(3), pp.178-191.
Biesta, G., 2021. World-centred education: A view for the present. Routledge.
Børte, K., Nesje, K. and Lillejord, S., 2023. Barriers to student active learning in higher education. Teaching in Higher Education, 28(3), pp.597-615.
Cornish, F., Breton, N., Moreno-Tabarez, U., Delgado, J., Rua, M., de-Graft Aikins, A. and Hodgetts, D., 2023. Participatory action research. Nature Reviews Methods Primers, 3(1), p.34.
Dakhi, O., JAMA, J. and IRFAN, D., 2020. Blended learning: a 21st century learning model at college. International Journal Of Multi Science, 1(08), pp.50-65.
Daly-Smith, A., Quarmby, T., Archbold, V.S., Corrigan, N., Wilson, D., Resaland, G.K., Bartholomew, J.B., Singh, A., Tjomsland, H.E., Sherar, L.B. and Chalkley, A., 2020. Using a multi-stakeholder experience-based design process to co-develop the Creating Active Schools Framework. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 17, pp.1-12.
Datta, D., Phillips, M., Chiu, J., Watson, G.S., Bywater, J.P., Barnes, L. and Brown, D., 2020. Improving classification through weak supervision in context-specific conversational agent development for teacher education. arXiv preprint arXiv:2010.12710.
Fine, M. and Torre, M.E., 2021. Essentials of critical participatory action research. American Psychological Association.
Ifenthaler, D. and Yau, J.Y.K., 2020. Utilising learning analytics to support study success in higher education: a systematic review. Educational Technology Research and Development, 68(4), pp.1961-1990.
Jesionkowska, J., Wild, F. and Deval, Y., 2020. Active learning augmented reality for STEAM education—A case study. Education Sciences, 10(8), p.198.
Kalu, F., Wolsey, C. and Enghiad, P., 2023. Undergraduate nursing students' perceptions of active learning strategies: A focus group study. Nurse Education Today, 131, p.105986.
Legaki, N.Z., Xi, N., Hamari, J., Karpouzis, K. and Assimakopoulos, V., 2020. The effect of challenge-based gamification on learning: An experiment in the context of statistics education. International journal of human-computer studies, 144, p.102496.
Lombardi, D., Shipley, T.F. and Astronomy Team, Biology Team, Chemistry Team, Engineering Team, Geography Team, Geoscience Team, and Physics Team, 2021. The curious construct of active learning. Psychological Science in the Public Interest, 22(1), pp.8-43.
Mac Naughton, G., 2020. Action research. In Doing early childhood research (pp. 208-223). Routledge.
Munna, A.S. and Kalam, M.A., 2021. Teaching and learning process to enhance teaching effectiveness: a literature review. International Journal of Humanities and Innovation (IJHI), 4(1), pp.1-4.
Owens, D.C., Sadler, T.D., Barlow, A.T. and Smith-Walters, C., 2020. Student motivation from and resistance to active learning rooted in essential science practices. Research in Science Education, 50, pp.253-277.
Qureshi, M.A., Khaskheli, A., Qureshi, J.A., Raza, S.A. and Yousufi, S.Q., 2023. Factors affecting students’ learning performance through collaborative learning and engagement. Interactive Learning Environments, 31(4), pp.2371-2391.
Sanusi, I.T. and Oyelere, S.S., 2020, October. Pedagogies of machine learning in K-12 context. In 2020 IEEE frontiers in education conference (FIE) (pp. 1-8). IEEE.
Sebanz, N. and Knoblich, G., 2021. Progress in joint-action research. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 30(2), pp.138-143.
Comments
Post a Comment